Funky Kingston


Kingston Hughes Kennan
Due Date: March 13, 2007
Born:  March 6, 2007
5:37 p.m.  7 lbs.  21 in.
Virginia Hospital Center
Arlington, VA


March 6, 2007 was the day that Kingston was born and so was I; my life suddenly revealed itself with his birth.

Birth Story:
I went to my weekly appointment with Dr. Kothary at 9:00 a.m.  She told me that I was 1 cm. dilated and that she expects things to start happening in about 2 days.  I drove myself back to the office and explained to everyone what she had told me.  At 11:33 a.m., I had my first "real" contraction (after months of braxton hicks) I officially had a real contraction!  I wrote down that first one and started timing them as I was told to do.  At first they (about 2) were every 12 minutes, then they (about 3) were every 8 minutes and then I had the big contraction that automatically brought tears to my eyes.  I think the "pain" got to me and it was then that I actually got scared.  One of my co-workers (Dana) came over and rubbed my shoulders while another called Kyle and told him he better get over to the office.  He called Dr. Kothary on his way to pick me up and she said in true Dr. Kothary fashion, not to worry, to take me home and let me lie down.  By the time Kyle got to the office, my contractions were about 7 minutes apart.

We made it home and I was in some pretty serious pain, and realized that I hadn't eaten all day!  I changed and Kyle ran to the local deli/store and picked me up...split pea soup and a bottle of coke (random, I know!) I can remember walking from our couch to go to the bathroom and thinking that I wasn't going to make it back to the couch.  My contractions were now 4 minutes apart and I called Dr. Kothary and she said I better get to the hospital ASAP!  People always talk about the hospital ride and how intense it is and for us it was!  Luckilly the hospital was literally 10 minutes away with minimal speed bumps.  The pain was so intense that I started to get nauseous.  We go to the hospital and people were just taking their time with us and we were trying to be calm and all, but I literally felt like I was about to pop out a baby.  I was sent to change into the gown and my water broke.  I knew that I wanted an epidural but the nurses wouldn't administer one until Dr. Kothary checked me.  She of course was not at the hospital yet.  I think that they thought I was just being dramatic since my first contraction was only a couple hours ago.   Dr. Kothary finally arrived checked me and I was 8 cm dilated--hello, I wasn't pretending when I said I was in pain and that I think this baby is going to come out now.  I pretty much demanded an epidural which they said I couldn't because I was so far dilated but I begged, demanded, pleaded, cried and they brought one in.  (It didn't kick in in time for Kingston to be born)  about 20 minutes later and another cm dilated they brought in the epidural and I told Dr. Kothary that I thought I was going to die (maybe I was being dramatic)  and she assured me,  "Abigail, you are not going to die" and after 3 sets of "pushes, out came beautiful Kingston Hughes Kennan.  They immediately placed him on my chest and I remember just being in shock/awe/love.  I was able to start nursing right away as well.  After they whisked him away to weigh him, clean him etc I was told to get in a wheel chair so I could be moved into our actual room.  As I sat up and I realized that I couldn't feel my legs and had a mini freak out and the nurses assured me it was the epidural finally kicking in!  I had to apologize to the nurses because I was being so demanding and freaking out earlier and they laughed and said not to worry and that they thought I was "calm" for someone who was 8 cm dilated with no drugs!  From start to finish my labor was 6 hours and 4 minutes.

It was around 7:30 when we finally ate and had Blimpie subs because it was the only thing that was open.  To this day, whenever we see a Blimpie it reminds us of March 6, 2007 :)
LOVE
Daddy
1st family photo
Grammy
Grandpa, Uncle Ryan, Kyle

2 days old


This is a slideshow that I made for Kingston of he and Kyle right before Coltrane was born so that he could see how very important he was/is in our life.
<object width="400" height="224" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/585213545383" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/585213545383" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></embed></object>