Crazy Trane

Coltrane Miles Kennan
Due Date:  January 16, 2010
Born:  January 5, 2010
3:42 p.m.   7 lbs. 8 oz.  20.5 in
North Central Baptist Hospital
San Antonio, TX

Party of four!

Birth Story:
My second pregnancy was surprisingly a lot harder than with Kingston.  I knew what to expect, yes, but there were some surprises along the way.  At about 3 and a half months, I started to bleed and really panicked when I called my Dr. and they told me to go straight to the hospital.  Luckilly, Kyle was in town and was able to drive me--thankfully, there was nothing wrong!  I ended up having a sonogram and the Dr. there said that he didn't want to make any promises but that they thought it was a boy :)   When I was 6 months pregnant, I was working a lot with LLS and the big Walk Day had approached and I was running around more than I should and ended up having steady painful contractions and had to go home and sleep it off.  I also had MAJOR back pain, so bad in fact that I had to get acupuncture and get on pain meds (which I didn't really take bc I still a little nervous)  

Kyle's schedule is very crazy and during December and January he is usually on the road.  (talk about timing)  Dr. Caroll and I discussed inducing on a certain date that Kyle would be in town and especially since I have babies fast :)  Kingston was still going to pre-school at the time, so I dropped him off early in the morning and came back home.  I had been having irregular contractions since about 6:30 that morning.  A couple hours later,  I found a contraction timer online and decided to see if there was any kind of pattern going on.  I decided that there was no real pattern and that I would just lay down on the couch and watch some TV and enjoy some quiet time.  I felt what seemed like in slow motion, a water balloon squeezing in my stomach and as I sat up thinking this is weird, the "water balloon" popped and I felt a slight gush of water.  I actually yelled out "Help", of course I did :)  So I ran to the bathroom and called Kyle and told him that he should get home asap, and then...I have to say it, I put on one of Kingston's diapers haha.  This was all around noon.

We stopped by Kingston's daycare and dropped off the carseat and made our way to the Hospital.  When we got there, I know in my m ind that I wanted an epidural and that I needed to explain to everyone that I dilate very quickly.  I was okay, and could handle the pain while we signed in.  I was taken to the triage area and of course, you get checked to see how dilated you were and have to answer one million questions from the nurses.  When she checked me, I was at 6 cm and then about 3 minutes later as I'm trying to answer one of the questions, I had a pretty big contraction and she was like, let's check and see if that made you dilate any more, and sure enough, I was now at 7 cm.  I had to tell her that I do in fact go fast and I really wanted an epidural this time and she assured me that I'd be okay to just finish up the questions.  Not 3 minutes later, I had another big contraction and she checked me and I was 8 cm.  I was then rushed, like out of a movie into the room and had to "patiently" wait for my epidural, which luckilly did come within 5 minutes which seemed like 60, I think I asked them where the anesthesiolgist was 100 times.

Once I got the epidural, things calmed down for me, I was able to remain pretty calm as compared to when I was in labor with Kingston.  When the time came that I jsut knew to push, I had to push a few times more than with Kingston, I think due to the epidural and me not being able to tell.  But, after about 5 sets of pushing, out came sweet, chubby, baby Coltrane.  His cord was wrapped around his neck twice and they did not immediately put him on my chest and Kyle was not able to cut the umbilical cord :(  But as soon as he was in my arms, I felt like our family was complete.

Four hours later, I started having some pretty bad cramps and then full on contractions.  Of course, I had asked them to remove my IV about 30 minutes prior bc it was bothering me.  And I was passing huge blood clots.  The head nurse came in and gave me a shot of something that caused me to have contractions a minute apart.  The pain was so intense (more so than when I had Kingston or Coltrane) and I passed a blood clot the size of a grapefruit and then vomited and thought I was going to pass out.  Poor Kyle, I think he was scared and felt helpless all at the same time.  It was a very scary moment for us and a very real moment for us.  Luckilly, I stopped hemmoraging and was finally able to get some rest and my blood count the next day was low but nothing to worry too much about.  From start to finish, my labor with Coltrane Miles was roughly 3 hours and 42 minutes!

Love this moment


Headed Home