Homemade Laundry Detergent

I am aware that the beginning of this post may cause some to de-friend me on Facebook, but I'm okay with that.

So,  I was watching Here Comes Honey Boo Boo (on demand oh brother) the other day whilst folding laundry all by myself and the Mom June had this stockpile of random junk from the grocery store that she obtained by couponing.  I tried to dabble in that world but it just wasn't/isn't for me.  So I thought, well, why don't I try and make my own laundry detergent to save a couple of dollars, because like Honey Boo Boo, a dolla makes me holla.



Homemade Laundry Detergent

INGREDIENTS

1/2 bar of a glycerin soap
1/2 cup of washing soda
1/2 cup of Borax
1 gallon of water

DIRECTIONS
  • grate the 1/2 bar of soap with your normal cheese grater

  • pour the grated soup into a large pot and add 1/2 gallon of water and heat until soap dissolves


  • Add the borax and the washing soda and bring to a boil

  • remove from heat then add 1/2 gallon of cold water to the thickened mixture

You should wait a day before using the detergent so it can settle.  I always give the container a shake before I pour it into the washing machine.  Typically I will use a heaping 1/2 cup but if I know I'm pushing the limit with how much clothes I stuff into the machine I will use a full cup, it just depends on my mood :)

 PS this gallon of detergent cost me around $1.50 to make.